[Wine] Re: Rosetta Stone Microphone Detection

Nyctitropist wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu May 7 10:59:36 CDT 2009

Honestly, you guys are speaking jibberish. I have no idea what all that coding and stuff is, but I do know how I solved my problem without all the extra programs.

I found the answer. Rosetta Stone has a problem detecting the mics if the speaker input is not in some way connected to the mic. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I don't care and neither should you.

Follow these steps each time you want to use it and you should be fine.
*I'm on Vista, but this should work for every one.
1. Open Control Panel
2. Open Hardware and Sound
3.Open Sound
4.Set Line 1 as your Default Speaker
5. Refresh the Mic list
*All of your mics should now show up.
6. In Rosetta Stone, apply the mic you want and finish the setup.
7.Start whatever language you're using and switch back to the Sound menu.
8.Set whatever speaker you want to use as default.
*Rosetta Stone will continue to work fine until you close it, switch Users, or remove the mic.

In short you have to set the default speaker to LINE 1 to get the mics to appear. Then when you apply the settings switch the default speaker back.