[Wine] Buying a graphics card for Wine: ATI vs nVidia

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu May 28 14:17:37 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card soon (I currently have a
onboard Intel X3100)

I'm using Wine to play games under Linux. (I'm currently running x64
Ubuntu, I'm considering switching to sidux / debian testing / gentoo)
I currently play Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, Trackmania: Nations, Red
Alert II (which is really slow) and want to play Generals (too slow to
be playable on the Intel card) and maybe Red Alert 3. (I would also be
upgrading to enough RAM (8GB) to run OpenGL applications under
VirtualBox if neccesary)

I know that nVidia cards are working quite well with Wine. Do thay
experience many problems? (I saw quite a few issues caused be certain
driver version being discussed on the list recently)

How well is ATI cards working for older games? I know that the first
response here seem to be "get a nVidia", but that seem to be the
general response for Intel cards as well, which is working fine,
although really slow for me.

I would prefer to buy ATI to reward them for releasing the specs
needed for open-source drivers (And, under Windows, a few cards seem
to be really good value), but only if their cards are at least usable.
(I would probably be using fglrx and not the open-source drivers...) I
know that their drivers are not as good as nVidia's, but are they
actually usable for most things? If you have an ATI card, ehich card
do you have and what works / does not work on it?

Another question: How much of Wine's better support for nVidia cards
are caused by using vendor-specific OpenGL extensions and how much by
nVidia's better drivers?

Gert

PS: Would Max's DIB engine patches help for Red Alert 2's performance issues?