[Wine] Can Wine be installed in a web server to run a Windows appl?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Nov 11 10:26:52 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 09:06 -0600, jpsotta wrote:
> So, it is a bad idea !
> I will be very disappointed !
>
> However, is there any way to share a Windows application between a few remote users, even only one at a time ?
> I was thinking to use a website as common base : is there any host system based on Windows that could better support that "bad idea" ? (natively equiped with X11)

You can use a standard Windows PC, though there may not be any way to
stop more than one person accessing it at the same time. Look at VNC -
it can be used to provide a remote desktop on a *nix, Mac or Windows
client that connects to a *nix, Mac or Windows server.

Alternatively, run one or more copies of Windows in virtual machines on
a *nix system and access them remotely via VNC or ssh with X.11
forwarding.

Martin