[Wine] Re: Correct wrong character set?

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 16 07:27:08 CDT 2010

Are you editing UNIX files in a Windows program? In that case, it might be adding the "carriage return" character at the end of every line once you save it. Why? Well, here's why.

Text files in Windows and Linux have a very minor difference: the way they store "newlines". Linux uses the LF character (line feed). Windows uses TWO characters to indicate a line break: CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed).

Usually, when you try editing a text file that has only LF characters as newlines, Windows apps will behave differently depending on whether they support "seeing" this character:
- Notepad doesn't recognize them as newlines at all and glues all text together;
- Some editors recognize it correctly, then convert to CR+LF once you save the file;
- Some other editors recognize the file correctly and let you save back to whatever format you were using (CR+LF, just LF, or just CR in case of Macs).

Now, I'm not sure about this, but I think what is happening is you have an editor of the middle type - and it warns you about those UNIX-type newlines and converts them to Windows-type newlines.