[Wine] Re: Starcraft 2 Access Violation

ttempje wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 5 08:39:56 CDT 2010

I have they same problem after upgrading to a GTX-460 card.
I have the problem using wine 1.2 and also using crossover games 9.1.

StarCraft 2 crashes with an ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005) when starting a campaign or tutorial or when changing the display settings.

This is using a fresh and updated install of Linux Mint 9 using NVIDIA 256.44 drivers (the first ones to officially support the new GTX-460 cards). I use the default Linux Mint 9 kernel (Linux 2.6.32.21-generic).

When using my old videocard (NVIDIA 7900 GS) and the same 256.44 driver Starcraft works (but the performance is not very good).
It may have something to do that the GTX-460 is detected as a NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS according to the ErrorReporter. In the Nvidia config tool the GTX-460 is detected normally and the card seems to function fine in other linux applications.

I have also entered a support ticket for crossover games with this problem since the game is officially supported. But if anyone here has a solution for running the game using wine, that is fine for me also.

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=812506;list=16;ticket_level=3