[Wine] Getting EPROM programmer software to work under Wine

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 08:50:47 CDT 2010

--- On Wed, 8/11/10, dimesio <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Never run Wine as root. Follow the instructions here to fix
> any permissions errors you've created: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8b89c928ce782c014b8b312469223296093e1484

Yeah, running Wine as root was a last-ditch attempt after I'd tried everything else. I went and doublechecked the permissions afterwards, it didn't mess anything up.

> What version of Wine are  you using? I downloaded the
> app and tested it in 1.3.0. I got the "EPrivilege" dialog
> when the Windows version was set to XP, but changing it to
> Windows 98 fixed it--the app behaves exactly as you describe
> it in Windows. Try upgrading.

Ah... Now that is weird. I'd changed the global defaults to Windows 98 to no effect, but then I actually added the program and set it to run as Windows 98, and that fixed it. It loads now.

Only problem, I still have not managed to get it to communicate with the programmer. To verify the hardware, I have taken a spare machine and stuck a blank hard drive in it, and actually installed Windows 98. The programmer DOES work under Windows 98, but communications is... finnecky. It'll work the first time, but if you close the programmer software and open it again, it fails to find the programmer. But at least I know the parallel port, cable, and programmer are working.

I took that same machine, with another blank hard drive, and did a clean load of Debian 5.0. Just the basics - X, WindowMaker, and Wine. Set up the registery key in Software\Wine\VDM\ppdev to point to /dev/parport0, and set the permissions on /dev/parport0 to 777. Ran the software, and it fails to find the programmer. Looking at dmesg output, ppdev registered the port, then unregistered it after closing the application - so at least that portion is working. Now I just need to figure out how to get this thing to actually communicate, and I'll be in business.

Oh, and what is it about Wine that really freaks out WindowMaker? If I mimimize an application, it crashes WindowMaker and it reloads. I've seen it with a couple of programs (Wine File being one), and on two different machines.

-Ian