[Wine] Screen goes white while playing WonderKing

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Tue Feb 23 20:35:15 CST 2010

> Thanks for the tips!
>
> But is it worth trying 2.4? How would I go about using MacPorts and what does it do?
>
> After installing Xquartz 2.3 the game now runs up to the "loading" screen before crashing on windowed mode, and gets a "CreateDevice failed" and quits on full screen.
>
> According to the WonderKing forums, the error is caused either by the game not supporting the screen resolution or the video card's drivers and/or DirectX is/are out of date or have incorrect settings.
>
> The computer's graphical card is an ATI Radeon HD 2400, which you said should be fine.
>
> I tried running it with the recommended resolution, but nothing changed.
>
> As for DirectX, I have no idea how that works with wine, but the game needs at least 9.0 with Direct3d Acceleration enabled.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Your graphics card should be fine.  You may try with Xquartz 2.4; it definitely can't hurt.

Regarding the resolution, you can attempt to get the game up and running in a virtual desktop.  Basically you need to run "wine winecfg" then go to the graphics tab, enable a virtual desktop and set the size you'd like to use.  When the game attempts to run in fullscreen mode, it will use the "virtaul desktop" window as it would use fullscreen mode, and this works much better as X on Mac OS X is a bit lacking.

How are you attempting to start the app?  And where did you get your Wine distro from/how did you install it?  Can you attempt to run from a terminal?  (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app)

As far as MacPorts is concerned, it's well outside the scope of Wine here since it's a complete package management system in itself.  They have a decent guide, but I can't recommend it (or Fink, a similar project) or advise against it:

  http://guide.macports.org

The "wine-devel" port in MacPorts is generally kept relatively up-to-date, but if you have any issues building or installing it, you'd likely need to discuss problems on their forums/mailing lists.

doh123 provides Wineskin, which allows easy packaging of Windows apps on Mac OS X:
  http://wineskin.sourceforge.net

Mike Kronenberg provides WineBottler:
  http://winebottler.kronenberg.org

I wrote a little script to compile Wine from source on OS X if you're not scared of source builds:
  http://code.google.com/p/osxwinebuilder

Note that the Wine community as a whole doesn't support these projects - if you have a problem with one of them, you'll need to open a problem report with the respective developer.

And as I don't know of anyone using WonderKing, I'm not sure that it works with Wine.  Next thing to try would be the virtual desktop with Wine and then running from a terminal and posting any output to pastebin or something similar:

  http://pastebin.com

Good luck, and let us know the results!