[Wine] Wine Doesn't Detect Extra Drives

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Feb 27 11:17:21 CST 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 09:13 -0600, WarKirby wrote:
> Hello folks. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic Koala)
> I'm a former windows user, trying to use wine to continue using windows apps I need. Unfortunately, I'm running into a snag.
>
> My computer has three physical drives:
>
> one 160 GB drive, divided into two 80GB partitions. With windows XP on
> one, and ubuntu on the other
>
> One 300 GB drive with a single 300GB partition on it. This drive
> contains almost all of my programs, games, and apps
>
> One 750 GB drive, split into two 40GB partitions (empty) and one 670
> GB partition, which holds most of my data.
>
> I have my apps and data on entirely seperate drives from OSes, so that
> things aren't getting lost when I reinstall. This seemed like a pretty
> logical decision at the time.

That's a reasonable approach: I do the same myself, though only with
partitions on one disk, for exactly the same reasons.

I have all logins in one partition, mounted as /home. It also contains a
'local', which contains all my locally developed programs and scripts,
and a 'java' directory, which contains my Sun Java installation and 3rd
party jar files. These are linked like this:

'ln -s /home/local local' in /usr
'ln -s /home/java java'   in /usr

IOW, /usr/local/bin finds my own programs and /usr/java/sdk finds the
current Java version because /home/java contains a 'jdk' symlink
pointing to the latest download: 'ln -s jdk1.6.0_17 jdk'

How are you mounting the partitions on the 300GB and 750GB drives?
By that I mean where are you mounting them in the Linux filing system?

Changing their mount point might make them more accessible, e.g.:

- mounting them on directories inside your usual login.
  This would make them more accessible to Wine apps, but also
  wouldn't do anything you can't also do with symbolic links.

- mounting them on directories in /home and setting them up as login
  home directories. This would be my choice, but then I tend to use
  different logins to keep unrelated data separate, e.g. I use separate
  directories for program development, word processing, web pages,
  Wine apps, etc.

Martin