[Wine] 777 Geb?rden : Cannot find TB70net.exe (or one of its...)

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Jan 6 15:38:47 CST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-06 at 14:52 -0600, C.hristianKrueger wrote:

> The file is located in the same folder as the "777.exe"
> The message even does appear in windows under some circumstances and there
> is a support item from the publisher:
> http://www.kestner.de/n/verlag/support/777-v2-support.htm#frage25
>
> Simple put in English:
> - you might have disabled support for for 8.3 names
> - you might have umlaute (), blanks or special characters within the installation path
>   I avoided "C:\Program Files\" because it allready failed in my english windows.
>
> Any help would be appreciated how to verify both of the above and things worth to check
> or modify etc.

Here's my analysis of at least part of the problem.

Evidently the program expects to use the old-style 8.3 names to find its
files and support code. Checking if this is a problem is simple. Are
there any names in the directory structure containing it that:
- exceed 8.3 in name part or extension part
- contain lower case letters, spaces of characters not allowed
  in DOS names

NOTE: that an otherwise correct 8.3 name in lower case won't work
because, although DOS was case-insensitive, Linux isn't - and WINE obeys
Linux file name matching rules.

I can see one non-compliant name for starters: "Programme" is 9 letters
and contains lower case letters. Maybe you can fix that by renaming it
to "PROGRAM". If there are any others, i.e. created by the installer,
then either modify them to meet DOS 8.3 rules or (better) add a symbolic
link whose name does conform alongside each non-compliant file. If the
filename is longer than 8.3 you'll have to apply the Win95/98 conversion
rules when you create the corresponding DOS 8.3 name

Additional thought: has the installer set the execution bit(s) on
executable files?

Martin