[Wine] Need help to get LCDHype flying with Parallel-Port

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jan 25 14:45:19 CST 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 12:08 -0600, lsmod wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > You are doing something else: bypassing the Linux drivers by attempting
> > to talk direct to the hardware. While this may be acceptable with older
> > Windows versions its not a good idea with Linux.
>

> What is a good idea to solve the problem in Linux?

I think there are only three options:

1) Live with always setting the Wine windows version to Windows 98/ME
   and change the .dll 'driver' to use the same parport access methods
   as the test program

2) Try changing the test program to open /dev/lpn instead of the
   hardware address. If/when it works, use these parport access
   methods in the  .dll 'driver'.

3) Put the 'driver' code in a native Linux server that's accessed using
   sockets and make the .dll into a minimal shell that presents the API
   expected by LCDHype but does nothing more than pass commands to the
   server and return responses to LCDHype via the API.

The amount of extra work in (3) as compared with (1) is quite small.
Some time ago I wrote a complete client and the matching multi-user
server in ANSI C. Together they contain 258 C statements. Both are just
skeletons capable of parsing command lines, outputting help text and
passing messages between each other: message assembly and display (in
the client) and message handling and reply assembly (in the server) are
separate modules and not included in the statement totals.

Martin