[Wine] Wine 1.2 breaking VSTs, making unusable/glitchy. these plugins have been platinum for a long time :( now are almost useless

jordan johnston triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 07:34:31 CDT 2010

hi,

I posted about a week ago, when i had updated to wine1.2-rc6.

I had warned that i had seen regressions in wine. This applied to
Commercial VST instruments that i have been using in linux for about 2
years.
At first, when using Jack-audio-connection kit (after the upgrade) i
began to notice certain plugins were now causing Xruns, when they
started up.
this never used to happen. so i posted.

Now the situation is even worse. In particular, a plugin i had
mentioned before Native Instruments FM8, is now causing xruns whenever
i am switching
to a new preset - this makes it now useless!!  It is a sound app and
you can't have it causing audio glitches/xruns.
I don't know what has changed in Wine recently, but what i do know is
that i posted before and didn't get a single response on the issue,
and now it
is worse. -  i wonder if i had been posting about a game, if the
result would have been the same? ;)

I not only did a fresh Wine install, but also I have re-installed
linux (i was planning to anyway).   and this problem is still present.
Clearly, it must be
a regression in Wine.....

I don't play video games in wine, frankly, i don't see the point in
hacking a game to run under linux at the cost of 30% fps drop in
performance.
Now, i didn't get a single reply with to my problem, which is
ridiculous when you watch this list filled with replies on how to make
some stupid game half-work
with it's crappiest "low as possible" GFX settings.  This is ironic,
when you consider That there are more Linux Distro's geared towards
Pro-audio (most of which are using Wineasio) then there ever will be
linux gaming distro's. A lot of linux musicians require wine, as Linux
doesn't exaclty have a lot of Pro - type plugins and yet VST support
hasn't changed much, and i think is actually getting worse. (it's
frustrating).

I use wine for Photoshop, but mostly for VSTs using WineASIO + jack.

For the latter, i would be more than willing to give any information
needed to sort out some of these new issues, that are slowly ruining
my Pro-audio setup.
something new in wine is causing the problem, i don't know how to get
to the bottom of it. but i am more than willing to help and provide
any information that might be useful, in fixing these issues. I just
need to know how to go about it, properly.

sorry, if i come off a bit frustrated. But man, to have something work
well for so long, and then
have it be absolutely useless....it's a real hard one...not to mention
that i use this setup in live shows (music/band).

Lastly, this is important to me becuase i am running a VST hardware
platform, and if wine goes to crap for my Commercial VST instruments,
There won't be any point in me using it. to the point, that i might as
well just use OSX - which has way more overhead, and doesn't achieve
as low
of latency on my hardware :(

thanx

jordan