[Wine] Moving wine's C: drive to another file system

X-Windows wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 31 12:55:18 CDT 2010

I have a question regarding moving Wine's C:/ drive to another file system. My hard drive is currently partitioned into 3 primaries. I have a NTFS partition that Windows is on, a Ext4 with Ubuntu, and a third, larger, FAT32 partition that I use to hold cross-OS data (music, pictures, documents ect).

I have had infinite difficulty getting wine to run apps that I installed (through wine) to my FAT32 partition. Every time I try to run an app, it throws an error "The program <appname> has encountered a serious error and needs to close...". After doing some Googling it seems Wine can only run apps that are installed to it's C:/ drive. This has created some problems for me as my Linux partition is substantialy smaller than my storage partition that I use for my windows apps. My question is, is it possible to either run apps off a different fat32 partition, or move the default C:/ folder to the fat32 partition. When I tried moving it manually it was impossible to create a link to it from the default install location.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?