[Wine] Office 2007 is a half work'n

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 7 09:03:34 CDT 2010

>Do you think the version of office 2007 matters?  I can use any version.

EVERYTHING matters when it comes to installing Office.  The best suggestion I can make, at this point, is actually downgrading Office to 2003, unless you really need a whiz-bang feature of Office 2007.  Also, Ubuntu 10.10's kernel (and it is NOT alone, there is plenty of kernel breakage traffic on the Fedora list as well) broke Wine.  There are fixes in Wine 1.3.4 that workaround them.  However, as it has been pointed out Access and Wine do not like to get along.

Also, folks, we need to remember that this list is available to those who find profanity very upsetting and we need to keep the tone of our messages professional.  Can we at least try this?

If we get upset at another poster, take a few deep breaths and then figure in the big scheme of things how much does it really matter?  Sometimes, the advice given here is truthful, like if you want to use Access you really might want to look at staying with Windows (there is a lot of truth to that statement as getting the underlying JET engine to work is a nightmare there is a complete project for that effort: mdb.)  I know that some folks feel that this is 'knocking' them.

Also, if you are offered an alternative, like using LibreOffice, some of us have 'been there, done that' and yes, the advice is offered out of experience.  Others have the option of accepting or refusing that advice.  Your choice.  Just don't go off on the messenger.  Something like "I really wish I had that option, but the place I work at insists on staying with Office" is a great sentence.  I have worked with StarOffice/OpenOffice for years, and I have tried to talk people into using it.  Just like Wine, they just refuse to do so and I'm OK with that.

Bottom line of this message:  We need to keep it civil and please don't take it personal, but if you really have to use Access, you just might need to use Genuine Windows, at least for now.

Don't give up on either Linux or Wine, both are great alternatives to the 'Evil Empire'.

James McKenzie