[Wine] WINE, StarCraft II and I/O bottlenecks

Ema wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Oct 10 03:53:52 CDT 2010

Hi all.

Since I installed SC2 on my Ubuntu 10.04 x86-64 (Phenom II X4 965 BE, 8 GB Ram, nVidia 470 GTX - Driver 260.19.06, USB mic+headphones), I never managed to play at it with Ultra details with more than 12~15 FPS.

You could say that the fault is in a slow CPU, bad videocard or lousy sound card (the above USB stuff).
But the CPU isn't that bad, the ram quantity is more than enough and the videocard is pretty powerful (try to run this: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/index.php?title=SLG ).

So I really couldn't find a culprit why I have to play Low shaders (all rest Ultra) to get 30+ FPS.
Perhaps is that I'm using 64 bits instead of 32?

Anyway, the thing I notice the most is that when the game runs, no matter what graphical settings, the following happens:
- The CPU is being run at 800 MHz
- The GPU is being run at level 2 or 3 (max is level 4)

If I set those to 3.4 GHz and max level I get some more FPS, but like 2~4 at all Ultra.

I think that or:
1 wine is calling (directly or indirectly) schedule() too frequently
2 there's something in my system which makes the game wait in some sort of I/O which them implies both the CPU and GPU speed get reduced because the process spends a lot of time doing...nothing... just wait for that something.

How would you recommend to find such bottleneck?
Do you reckon is possible?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Ema! :-)