[Wine] DVDSubEdit 1.51

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jun 30 12:52:06 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 11:25 -0500, paolocchio wrote:
...snippage...

> > ==============start of gimpwrapper===============
> > #!/bin/bash
> > f1=$(echo "$*" | tr '\\' '/')
> > gimp $f1
> > ===============end of gimpwrapper================

...more snippage...

> utente at utente-desktop:~$ sudo cp /home/utente/Scrivania/gimpwrapper /usr/bin
> utente at utente-desktop:~$ sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/gimpwrapper

By convention you should never put anything that isn't a standard
package for you distro in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin or /usr/sbin because (1)
it may get overwritten by a distro update and (2) it will get lost when
you do a clean install.

Locally developed programs and contributions from others should be put
in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin (the latter is for sensitive,
root-only type programs to keep them out of the hands of untrusted
users). Make sure that /usr/local/bin is on the search path. A fresh
Linux install will still loose stuff you've put in /usr/local/bin unless
you keep a copy in a safe place or, better, adopt an upgrade strategy
similar to the one I describe here:

http://www.libelle-systems.com/free/linux/easier_upgrades.html

> But when I choose 'Edit subpic with external tool', 'Gimp' keeps on giving:

Did you reconfigure DVDSubEdit to call gimpwrapper instead of running
the Gimp directly?

If you're sure you did that, I suggest putting the line:

    echo "gimpwrapper: $f1"

into gimpwrapper as the 3rd line, i.e. immediately in front of the
"gimp $f1" line, running DVD SubEdit from the console and seeing what
gimp wrapper is passing the the Gimp.

Martin