[Wine] Re: Repairing Wine install...

TheDunedan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 8 19:54:31 CST 2011

Point taken. I wish I knew about this site before I tried to install wine by following that tutorial. I really am brand new to all of this. (I know windows inside and out though)

I would love to follow your advice, but I'm not sure how to upgrade then delete. The Ubuntu Software Center says I am using version "1.2.2-1ubuntu1~maverick2 (wine1.2)." There is also some kind of "dummy layer" and 28 "technical items."

I found a forum somewhere that suggested uninstalling via this command at a terminal: "sudo apt-get --purge autoremove wine"

I tried using the "uninstall wine software" option, but I get the same wineboot.exe error.

In the article you linked to it says: "If in doubt, start again installing the app in a fresh wineprefix and ask for help on the user forum." What does it mean to install to a "fresh wineprefix"?

Like I said, I have been trying to uninstall / reinstall for days now and I have had no success. As a general rule, is the Ubuntu Software Center the preferred means of installing/uninstalling packages? Should it be done at the command line?

PS: I downloaded a 200 page "intro to Linux" that I intent to get working on :P