[Wine] Re: Repairing Wine install...

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Mar 8 21:43:58 CST 2011

TheDunedan wrote:

> In the article you linked to it says: "If in doubt, start again installing the app in a fresh wineprefix and ask for help on the user forum." What does it mean to install to a "fresh wineprefix"?

A wineprefix is where Wine stores its settings and fake drive_c. The default is ~/.wine, which is a hidden directory in your home directory. A "fresh wineprefix" is one where nothing has been installed yet and no settings have been changed. That's what you need to do. Just set your file manager to show hidden files, then delete .wine. It will be automatically recreated when you run Wine again.

Using your distro's package manager is usually the easiest way to install software. There are instructions for installing the development release in Ubuntu here: http://www.winehq.org/download/deb If you run into problems with it, though, ask on the Ubuntu forum. I don't use Ubuntu, so I can't really help you with package manager issues.