[Wine] Repairing Wine install...

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Mar 9 05:43:25 CST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 19:27 -0600, TheDunedan wrote:
> The first time I installed Ubuntu something went wrong and I had to
> uninstall & reinstall it to get it working. Now when I turn on my PC
> there are two versions of Ubuntu in the boot menu along with Windows
> XP Pro... and all three boot so I don't know what the heck is going
> on.

That is expected: like many things, the Linux boot system is more
flexible than the Windows one and is fully documented and configurable.

Linux boot systems can all be configured to show a menu that lets you
select and boot any of the displayed OSes. My distro (Fedora) keeps the
last three kernels to be installed in the menu. Its normal to define a
default OS, which automatically boots after giving you a few seconds to
select a different one. The topmost item in the list is the usual
default but this can be overridden.

If this is NOT how your boot system is operating, ask how to fix it on
the Ubuntu forums.

Martin