[Wine] Trying to run RIFT on OS X 10.6 and Having DirectX Issues

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Mon Mar 21 21:47:56 CDT 2011

On 3/21/11 8:36 PM, Alanbly wrote:
> Yes I built it, but the same happens without it. I didn't pull anything from Mac OS Forge, I already had x11 (XQuartz 2.3.6 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple56)) installed and running for GIMP and a few other programs. Also the X Server itself work fine for displaying text and buttons within the RIFT executable. It's not till I get to the 3D rendering that it freaks out (the whole screen flashes with random colors, possibly the polygon colors to be rendered. I can only presume this means that is has the server right but is translating the directx wrong for some reason.
You need to go to Mac OS Forge (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/ for
XQuartz) and get XQuartz 2.6.1. You see, unlike a lot of apps, Wine is
very demanding. Especially when running Direct3D games.

Besides, XQuartz 2.3.6 is really old. *Really* old. In fact, I don't
even get why Apple includes really old versions of XQuartz with Mac OS X
when the new versions are so much better.

I'm telling you, if you're not running the very latest version of
XQuartz, instead of the old versions that come with Mac OS X, you can
expect huge problems running 3D games with Wine. Trust me; I know from
experience.

Chip