[Wine] wine cannot find L "c:/windows/system32/plugplay.exe

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 13:35:02 CDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:09 AM, bflojoe6 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I'm running Wine1.2.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid). In my file manager, I can get to the /.wine/drive_c folder, so I know it exists in my file system.
> However, when I open the Wine Configuration window (either via apps/wine/configuration or via terminal (winecfg), on the Drives tab it shows
>   C:      ../drive_c
>   D:      /media UDISK
> (and a few other drives).
>
> However, the C drive 'browse' button is greyed out, so I cannot link Wine to this drive, which in fact does appear in my file system.

And you should NOT be able to do this.  What are you actually trying
to do?  If you are trying to link in an existing Windows file system,
PLEASE do not do this.  One thing is it will break your ability to run
programs in Wine and the second is that this will break your existing
Windows installation in interesting ways, requiring a COMPLETE
reinstall of Windows.

> When I try to bring up the wine configure page or the ../drive_c file in terminal I get the message: wine cannot find
> L "C/windows/system/32/plugplay.exe".
Is this really what it says or is the response what you entered as the
Title of the forum thread?

Back to my original question.  What is it that you are trying to do?
If you want to run programs out of your Windows directory, I will
advise against it for two reasons:
1.  Wine presently does fully implement NTFS file permissions.  This
can cause problems when you try to use files created under Wine in
Windows.
2.  Most programs, when installed, write information to the Windows
Directory.  Wine cannot use your Windows registry 'hive' and has one
of its own.  You will need to re-install each program you want to use
in Wine.  Wine is a Linux program and will use, for the moment, Linux
related file permissions.  It is much better to use a Linux partition
for your programs and a FAT32 partition for your program's data
elements so you can move them to a Windows partition if needed.

James McKenzie