[Wine] CrossOver license

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Nov 1 19:06:53 CDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 18:17 -0500, kevpatts wrote:
> Thanks guys for your responses.
>
> I'm a huge believer in open source software and use nearly only open
> source software both at home and in work (I know it seems odd that I
> say that and yet I'm talking about charging for software built on top
> of LGPL platforms!).

I don't see what's wrong with that.

Fact is, if you want to get some return from your efforts, there are
only two practical ways:

1) sell the software, in which case it obviously can't be under the GPL
  though if you have written any generally useful libraries as part of
  the project, you might put them under the LGPL.

2) sell support and give the program for free (the RedHat model).

If you're a one man band or a very small organisation (1) is about the
only possibility if you and/or your support guy(s) ever want to take
holiday: you need a fair number of people to handle (2) well enough to
give a reasonable response time to queries and problem reports while
still having enough time to keep development going and handling admin
and sales.

Martin