[Wine] problem running quickbooks

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jan 10 14:53:59 CST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 13:05 -0600, Emegra wrote:

> I'm looking for a bit of help I'm fairly new to Linux and completely
> new to Wine, but I installed Wine on Linux Mint 12 and then installed
> quickbooks 2003, Quickbooks runs ok but when I exit I get a message
> "Quickbooks has encountered an error" (Can't remember the rest) after
> that Quckbooks will not load again until I restart Linux I don't get
> any error messages just nothing happens but once restarted it will up
> again, Any help would be much appreciated.

Will it restart again if you simply log out and log in again instead of
rebooting Linux?

If so, try this:
1) log out and login again.
2) from the console, start a new shell (run the 'bash' command
   with no parameters) and then run Quickbooks.
3) When it has exited (with the usual crash) run the "ps" command
   and let us know what you see. If two copies of bash are shown,
   run the "exit" command. running "ps" again should now show a
   single copy of bash.
4) will Quickbooks run again it run again if you repeat steps 2 and 3?

Martin