[Wine] windows drivers on wine

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Tue Jun 18 13:07:56 CDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org>wrote:

> > I don't know much about drivers on wine.
> > The sources include .drv files, but I heard wine does not support win
> drivers.
> > Can  I add drivers to wine?
> >
> Short answer: No.
>
> Longer answer:
> Wine's job is to intercept Windows system calls and execute one or more
> Linux system calls that have the same effect. Then it passes the results
> back to your app so it thinks a Windows system call was run. Your app
> and Wine are running in userspace. Although some system code runs in
> userspace, device drivers are not.

The fact that Windows drivers do not work (currently) out of the box does
not mean it is technically impossible. After all, there is NDISWrapper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDISwrapper

Wine + "wine driver runner" kernel module + Wine implementation of Windows
driver API would make what the OP wants possible. He only needs to
implement the "wine driver runner kernel module" and the Windows driver
APIs :-)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org