Information on what to do and where to go

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Tue Sep 12 15:21:32 CDT 2006

Hi all,

This is hopefully the definitive guide on what to do and where to go when you get to Reading.

Here's the deal: most folks taking either a bus or a train will arrive in Reading at Reading Station.

>From there, it's a ways to the University (about 45 minutes and might not be easy to find).  A taxi will
run you about £8, and there is a public bus as well - all nicely laid out on the travel page:
  http://www.winehq.org/site/wineconf/travel

Our plan is to pause in the pub that's connected to Reading Station, the Three Guineas, for a pint of Real Ale, and in the hopes of getting together and arranging transport to the university. So if you land there, you might look around for other Wine folks before moving on. (CodeWeavers folks are mostly coming in on Friday, starting at around 11:00 and proceeding through the day.) Walking out of the main station entrance (the area with tickets desks and fast food restaurants), the Three Guineas is on the right, on the other side of the bicycle stands.

Now, if you have booked a room with me for Windsor Hall, here are the instructions from the University:

  Arrivals at Windsor Hall should check in at the main reception
    (signed Park reception).
  Arrivals after 11pm will need to use the yellow phone at the
     entrance if the Hall to contact Security.  We do need to
     know in advance if anyone will be arriving after 11pm so that their keys can be made available to Security.
  Your contact this weekend will be Clare Lockett, who can be
     contacted during working hours on 0776 444 5861 during Saturday and Sunday.

We're not really sure if there is a public lounge in Windsor
Hall; if there is, I'm sure a few of us will be lounging there.
The rooms all have internet, so I'm sure a bunch of us will
be slumming there anyways.

However, the further thought is to congregate at a pub or
other congenial meeting place from mid-afternoon onwards. The Queen's Head is within walking distance of campus (http://local.google.co.uk/local?f=q&hl=en&sll=51.443108,-0.951068&sspn=0.008961,0.020127&q=Queen%27s+Head+Pub,+Reading+54+Christchurch+Road&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=15&ll=51.440259,-0.946798&spn=0.017923,0.040255&iwloc=A) so it seems like the best place to do this.

Assuming you are coming from Windsor Hall, here is how to get to the Queen's Head:
1. Turn left out of the University onto Upper Redlands Road.
2. Take the first left onto Elmhurst Road.
3. Keep following the road until you come to a set of traffic lights and turn right onto the road with a row of shops (Shinfield Road).
4. The Queen's Head is about 200m on the left. It is the building covered in ivy.

I'll be around all day on Friday and if you need to get hold of me, you can do so on +44 7790 504077 (replacing the +44 with 0 if you are dialing from a UK phone).

I look forward to seeing you all at WineConf '06,

--
Rob Shearman