Problems building with extern inline functions in winebase.h

Bill Medland medbi01 at
Thu Aug 16 08:43:43 CDT 2001

Mike Bond <mbond at> wrote in article
<20010816102721.A10210 at>...
> A couple days ago a number of inline functions were put into winebase.h.
> Since then I have been unable to build, using gcc 2.96-81 (RedHat).
> this version of gcc thinks that because there is an extern prefixing the
> inline, even though the function does in fact have a body, that the
> function really is external. Removing the extern, just having inline as
> one would do in C++, does not appear to work correctly either, and causes
> the function to appear as a exported symbol in all the object files that
> header gets included with, thus resulting in multiple definitions.
> I'm not sure what the correct solution would be, other than using the
> older function call method for this version of gcc. Perhaps I'm just
> missing some variant on the use of inline?
> --
> MikeB
Ah.  That might explain some of my problems (the "inline" of
perfect_graphics in graphics/x11drv/bitblt.c which is explicitly static and
possibly one with DPtoLP in windows/defwnd.c I am looking into just now).

Be aware that the problems are still there in 2.96-85 so there's not much
point in updating from the RedHat site.  I guess I am about to follow
advice and back down to 2.95.  (Does anyone know; is it simply a matter of
using rpm to remove the new and install the old or am I about to start
tearing my hair out?)