Does Wine's winhlp work?

Bobby Bingham uhmmmm at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 16 21:13:35 CDT 2001

On Thursday 16 August 2001 09:28 pm, you wrote:
> Is Wine's WinHelp program supposed to work? By that I mean, if I invoke
> that program with a Windows help file, is it supposed to be able to
> display the contents of the help file as Window's winhelp.exe would?
>
> I ask because 1) I have a program (DeLorme's AAA MapNGo) that uses
> WinHelp format documents for some of its normal operation, and 2) I have
> a WinHelp format file I'd dearly like to be able to access directly from
> Wine.
>
> When I try to launch Wine's Winhelp, it brings up a window, but the
> window is empty. If I go to File->Open and try to open a WinHelp file, I
> get the same result. Is there some setup I'm missing?

I get the same thing.  I think Wine's winhelp isn't supposed to work yet.  If
you have access to the windows winhlp32.exe, it runs perfectly under wine
(afaict better than in windows.  I have a help file that creating a search
index always crashes it under windows.  Under wine it doesn't work, but it
recovers without crashing).

I may take a look at it if I can find the file format.

Bobby Bingham