Win XP installation support?

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Sun Dec 2 20:19:41 CST 2001

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Hetz Ben-Hamo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed wine cvs and I have here on this machine Windows XP pro
> installed..
>
> now - the partition is fat32 and I can access it with /mnt/win without any
> problem.

I think if you will look in /etc/fstab, you will see its fs_vfstype is
auto.  That works okay, linux is able to recognize the fat partition,
but it confuses wineinstall.  Last I looked at it, wineinstall was
looking for vfat there to tip it off to a windows partition.  If you
change that from auto to vfat, that may help wineinstall.  I will maybe
see if I can work out a better way, but in the Mean Time you may as well
try that.

> However, the tools/wineinstall script simply doesn't recognize my windows
> partition:
>
> Windows was not found on your system, so I assume you want
> a Wine-only installation. Am I correct?
> (yes/no)
>
> No, it's not correct. Any suggestions?

You can always edit the ~/.wine/config file yourself if you don't like
my suggestion above or it doesn't work.

> (sorry if the email doesn't belong to this list)
>
> Thanks,

Well, it's more a wine-users kind of question, but maybe wineinstall
could do with a little work here.

It's been a couple of days since I looked at wineinstall, it might have
changed.

Lawson
---oof---