various config files for various applications

Jon Griffiths tntjpgriff at
Sun Feb 11 21:39:52 CST 2001

> i know it was already at least mentioned here - how to provide config
> file that works without change for more than one application. what do
> you think about this concept?

The problem here is the server. I notice that if you start one application
with --managed, all applications started afterwards also get this set, if the
server is still active when they start.

I think the server should store its preferences in a process specific area
that can be set per-process (but by default would use the .wine/config
setup). Everything else should be overridale on the command line, perhaps?

One nice thing about this would be the ability for a (gui?) wine utility to
read and change those defaults for a process using server calls. Debug
messages could be turned on/off, for example, while the server is still
running. Being able to browse the servers process/thread tree, attach a
debugger externally etc could also useful.

This would require a small set of 'server broswer' calls to be made
available, and the current global preferences such as tweak_winelook to be
held by the server. However, its a fair bit of work, and unlikely to happen
in the immediate future AFAICS.

"Don't wait for the seas to part, or messiahs to come,
  Dont you sit around and waste this chance ..." -Live

tntjpgriff at , jon_p_griffiths at