various config files for various applications

Jon Griffiths tntjpgriff at tsnxt.co.uk
Sun Feb 11 21:39:52 CST 2001

> i know it was already at least mentioned here - how to provide config
> file that works without change for more than one application. what do
> you think about this concept?

The problem here is the server. I notice that if you start one application
with --managed, all applications started afterwards also get this set, if the
server is still active when they start.

I think the server should store its preferences in a process specific area
that can be set per-process (but by default would use the .wine/config
setup). Everything else should be overridale on the command line, perhaps?

One nice thing about this would be the ability for a (gui?) wine utility to
read and change those defaults for a process using server calls. Debug
messages could be turned on/off, for example, while the server is still
running. Being able to browse the servers process/thread tree, attach a
debugger externally etc could also useful.

This would require a small set of 'server broswer' calls to be made
available, and the current global preferences such as tweak_winelook to be
held by the server. However, its a fair bit of work, and unlikely to happen
in the immediate future AFAICS.

Cheers,
Jon

--
"Don't wait for the seas to part, or messiahs to come,
  Dont you sit around and waste this chance ..." -Live

tntjpgriff at tsnxt.co.uk , jon_p_griffiths at yahoo.com