process.h patch

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Tue Feb 13 13:31:47 CST 2001

Jon Griffiths <tntjpgriff at tsnxt.co.uk> writes:

>  *  THIS SOFTWARE IS NOT COPYRIGHTED
>  *
>  *  This source code is offered for use in the public domain. You may
>  *  use, modify or distribute it freely.
>  *
>  *  This code is distributed in the hope that it will be useful but
>  *  WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED ARE HEREBY
>  *  DISCLAMED. This includes but is not limited to warranties of
>  *  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
> You can't get more clear than that, I think. Of course it would be good to
> acklowdge their contribution and let them know their modified code is being
> used.

Since it's public domain then yes we can use it; but you should
*always* add a comment when you use code from somewhere else stating
where it came from, even if there is no license requiring it. It's
just the polite thing to do.

> One thing I _don't_ think we need to do is to try to use the headers when
> building msvcrt and Francois suggested. I think its extra work for no real
> benefit, bugs show themselves soon enough, and winapi_check catches several
> kinds of parameter bugs already. I alos dont like having to use a different
> build command for one dll (ie include he msvcrt header dir).

The advantage of using the headers for building msvcrt is that they
will then automatically get tested by anybody compiling Wine; while
with the other approach they only get tested by people compiling
Winelib apps, i.e. just about nobody <grin>

OTOH the macros make the headers quite ugly, so I don't have any
strong preference one way or the other.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com