huge library renaming ?

Andreas Mohr a.mohr at mailto.de
Fri Feb 23 14:53:16 CST 2001

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 01:29:29PM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 08:31:50PM +0100, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > one thing that occurred to me:
> > Shouldn't we rename *all* Wine libraries to libwineXXX ?
> >
> > AFAIR there have been several naming conflicts with other projects
> > (libole, ...), and people who need to remove a previous Wine install
> > from their system manually have a rather hard time...
> >
> > Any reason for not doing this ?
> > I can't think of any...
> >
> > If this is a good thing, then we should do this NOW, not when it's too late.
> >
> > The current drawbacks are just too much IMHO.
>
> Why not put them in /usr/lib/wine/ as suggested by the FHS?
Hmm, yes that's one solution.

However this doesn't solve naming conflicts, does it ?
If we have libole and another project (was it gnumeric ?) uses the same name,
then there really is nothing to our defense.
If we choose to use libwine_xxx or something similar, then the other project
looks pretty stupid if it somehow decides to choose the same name
(which won't happen anyway).

Putting the libraries in /usr/lib/wine instead seems to only solve the
"easy uninstall" problem.

Andreas Mohr