Edit control notification fix

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at sloboda.ru
Fri Mar 9 05:34:59 CST 2001

"Andreas Mohr" <a.mohr at mailto.de> wrote:

> > That hack cured the application, but Andreas
> Well, that's not exactly true.
> You did not do it "for edit control". You did it for *all* controls
> in DIALOG_GetControl16() (at least in the patch you sent me).
> That's why I objected. I just had to :)

Sure :-)

[...]
> OK. I can't really judge whether that's correct, as I'm not too much into
> these kinds of things.
>
> Hopefully it's correct :)

Well, you can always write your own test app and prove or contest my patch :-)
It is really not so hard as it seemed to be...

First, using spy++ I discovered that ALL edit controls of that installer have 0x200
style under win2000: therefore style got not corrected or masked upon dialog creation.

Second, I took some thought, and wrote test app.

My test application sends WM_SETTEXT to the edit control (parent is dialog), then
reparents that edit to button (!) in that dialog, makes edit size to be equal new
parent client size, brings edit to front and then sends WM_SETTEXT to the edit again.
Also I did editing of the text in that edit before and after change of parent,
did change focus to and from edit using keyboard and mouse, did copy and paste...
All messages to and from dialog and all its controls were spyed and analyzed.

That's all.