Eliminate excessive retries in GetFileVersionInfo(Size)

lawson_whitney at juno.com lawson_whitney at juno.com
Thu Mar 15 22:30:26 CST 2001

Good day!

Maybe it takes a Man from Mars to think that a windose function might
ought to sort of do what its name implies, but the more I think about
it, wouldn't it be simpler?  It is right and proper for the functions of
oleaut32.dll to be performed by liboleaut32.so and friends (if the Wine
administrator so directs), but if the app asks for the version info for
oleaut32.dll, and the named file exists (because the app's installer
_put_ that file there, in this case) how about we give it the version
info from that bloody file?  If the file doesn't exist, we give it a
builtin construct, say.  IOW, disconnect file version from dll.  I don't
think it is any business of the app what does its work, so I don't see
why it should be able to tell by GetFileVersionInfo whether the
working blah.dll is builtin or native.

I guess you could make a case for a [VersionOverrides] section in the
config, but I am not going to.  That way lies madness.

I would be willing to take a shot at writing the code if that's what we
decide we want, and if no one is in a great hurry for it, but...

Regards,

Lawson

<< Sardines of the world unite! <<
>> You have nothing to lose but your cans. >>
---cut here

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.