GDB remote debugging

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Thu May 10 03:27:56 CDT 2001

On 9 May 2001, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Ove Kaaven <ovehk at ping.uio.no> writes:
>
> > I assume Alexandre isn't going to like some of the stuff in here, but I
> > suppose it's up to him whether to take it or leave it...
>
> How did you guess I wouldn't like it? ;-)
>
> Actually I think it's a neat hack, but it doesn't belong in the server
> at all. You should be able to do the same thing as a client-side
> process using the Win32 debugging API. It could be either a
> stand-alone Winelib app, or a special mode inside winedbg so that you
> can reuse some of the code in there.

One big problem is that when GDB is attached, it must immediately be known
exactly which process to attach to. If the server allocates one socket per
process and prints out its port when the process starts, it's easy for the
user to choose one, but it's harder for a client process to know. I can
also attach and detach gdb at will (if I detach gdb in some exception,
winedbg even launches as normal)... winedbg can't, at least nobody knows
how to attach winedbg to a running process.

Anyone is free to migrate my code to winedbg or whatever if they think
they can get around these issues, of course, but I don't plan to spend
more time on this (that's why I submitted it).

Might be a good (and very useful) job for a new developer, though.
Any takers?