SystemParametersInfo: Screen Save actions

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at
Fri Nov 16 15:36:13 CST 2001

--- Francois Gouget <fgouget at> wrote:

>    But do we really have Windows applications that
> mess with the
> timeouts? Unless we know of many applications that
> really do stupid
> things, we should let them modify the screensaver
> timeouts. Otherwise it
> is just paranoia. And if we don't trust Windows
> applications we should
> not let them run in the first place. They are many
> things worse than
> changing the screensaver settings that they could
> do: just imagine all
> you can do with an evil API like DeleteFile, or
> CreateWindow.

The worst thing may happen is the same mess with
settings as on Windows machines.
Most Windows users reinstall OS not more frequently
than 2 times a year. Sure, restarting X session so
often is a huge annoyance ;-)

> Andriy asked:
> > Do you suggest another extreme - "Integrate with X
> whenever
> > possible"? If not, where do you suggest to draw
> the line between
> > these two extremes?
>    I would say that I lean in favor of the
> "Integrate with X whenever
> possible" option. But I did not study all the SPI_
> settings in enough
> details to really say that it always makes sense. As
> Alexandre says
> there can be exceptions: just not the same ones.
> Though it may be that
> by putting our exceptions together we manage to
> cover all of the SPI
> settings ;-)

Exceptions will be not so many as I see from the first
20 implemented system parameters.
For the most system parameters I just don't know what
to think. E.g. what type of applications use
interested in exact mouse buttons mapping?

Andriy Palamarchuk

Do You Yahoo!?