SystemParametersInfo / GetSystemMetrics

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 14:43:49 CDT 2001

--- Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.com> wrote:
> > Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > > One more question while we are on it.
> > > We are going to check whether X settings
> > correspond to
> > > our settings only on initialization and reload
> > > requests and are not going to do the check in
> > "Get"
> > > logic, right?
> >
> > Yes; in fact I'd argue that we shouldn't care at
> all
> > about X settings
> > in most cases, except maybe to get initial values.
> > For instance if the
> > app remaps mouse buttons, or changes mouse
> threshold
> > or whatever, you
> > don't want to apply this to the whole X session
> IMO.
> > If users want to
> > reconfigure X behavior, they have to use the X
> > configuration programs.
>
> This is logical, but win apps not always behave
> logically :-) I agree - in general changing system
> configuration in end user application is BAD idea.
>
> However if we completely separate our and X settings
> we have danger that Wine settings will contradict
> with
> X and  we won't be able to track all the
> consequences.
> Another danger that an application will change the
> Wine settings and user won't have a way to change
> them
> back.
> Plus, user not always knows where to change the X
> setting.
>
> I prefer:
> - let application change settings if it wants to
> - on Wine startup restore settings to X window
> values.
>
> Now when Windows application screws something, user
> can restart X session and everything will be
> restored.
> If the user wants the changed behavior he can change
> settings or run his application again :-).
> This approach has advantages of giving user some
> freedom in system configuration and consistency X
> window and Wine settings.

Of course, if we take initial values from X most of
these problem do not exist.

What are good reasons to change the system settings in
end application at all? I can think only about some
robot program which imitates human behavior, e.g. in
teaching, user interface testing applications, demo
programs.

Andriy Palamarchuk