usleep in winmm/wineoss audio

Simon Britnell ughbash at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 15:03:53 CDT 2001

--- eric pouech <eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> after, rereading my old code, there's nothing wrong
> (at first glance) here some invocations (like close,
> reset) need to be synchronous
> (the calling thread blocks until the rendering
> thread is done with the message), some others (like
> adding a wavehdr for play back)
> are asynchronous, hence the difference

I added a WaitForSingleObject late last PM as an
experiment.  The results were ... interesting.

The first thing I noticed was that my problem
attaching to the process went away, ie. winedbg
started to work.  The second thing that happened was
that the problem I experience went from being
intermittant to constant and now also invariably
throws a page fault exception (in the same place it
intermittantly threw an exception).  Tracing back from
that page fault is proving difficult as the page fault
occurs with a value that's been stored on the heap at
some prior point in the execution.  Any tips for rapid
location of where it's being stored?  I suspect it's a
null return from a wine system call.

> so, back to square 1. can you at least trace the
> program with
> -debugmsg +wave (and still capture the hanging ?)

Unfortunately, turning -debugmsg +wave on has so far
made the problem go away.  I'll have another couple of
attempts this PM as its been quite intermittant.
Also, it occurs to me to try -debugmsg +wave with the
(broken) WaitForSingleObject patch I mentioned above.