(no subject)

Andriy Palamarchuk apa3a at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 08:45:26 CDT 2001

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a at yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>Do you think it is better to do lazy loading for
most
>>parameters?
>>

> Yes definitely.

Ok, how about this:
Each system parameter has "is_loaded" flag which shows
whether the parameter is loaded or not. Parameters,
stored directly in SysParametersInfo are loaded from
registry only when they are requested and the flag is
"false", after the loading the flag is set to "true".
On interprocess notification of the parameter change
the corresponding parameter flag is set to "false".
The parameter will be reloaded when it is requested
the next time.

Parameters, backed by GetSystemMetrics are processed
differently. These parameters are always loaded. They
are reloaded right away on interprocess change
notification. We can't do lazy loading because
GetSystemMetrics returns its values from system
metrics array and we don't want to complicate this
function.

I'm going to implement the flags as a bit array. Index
constants for this array will be defined separately.

>>I'll think about it more. Originally I planned to
>>broadcast change notification across processes and
use
>>the reload function in other process to refresh
values
>>from registry. The problem with this approach is
when
>>a parameter is changed without saving.
>>

> A possibility could to create a volatile registry
branch to save
> parameters that aren't permanently saved. This way
they would be
> accessible from other processes.

Thank you for the idea.

Are there any existing implementations of
communication between Wine processes I can use as an
example?

Disregard the patches "SystemParametersInfo /
GetSystemMetrics", "SPI_GET/SETBORDER". I'll implement
the discussed above changes and resubmit them.

Do you still think it is better don't affect X
settings from Wine?
Please let me know.

While we are on this - what about other my patch -
"hello5.c"? It fixes a warning and an error message I
got when I tried to compile hello5.c.

Andriy Palamarchuk