License change vote results

Steve Langasek vorlon at dodds.net
Tue Feb 19 11:23:45 CST 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 12:05:50PM -0500, Roger Fujii wrote:

> > The obvious result of this vote is that my previous conclusion was
> > wrong: there is clearly widespread support in the community for a
> > copyleft-style license. With 2 out of 3 contributors in favor of the
> > switch, and less than 15% opposed to it, it's clear that we are going
> > to proceed with the change.

> As a curiosity, what % of the voters are affiliated with
> codeweavers?   I realize that they are a significant contributer, but
> as you are using the word "community", it's fair to ask
>   a) how big that number is in total
>   b) if there are large components in that number, they should
>      be at least quantified.

Do you believe affiliation should matter?  If 66% of all contributors to
the public Wine tree voted in favor of the LGPL because 60% of all
contributors to the public Wine tree are on the Codeweavers payroll, does
that invalidate the conclusion that the community as a whole is in favor
of the LGPL?

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer