How many APIs have been implemented yet?

Roland roland at netquant.com.br
Mon Jan 7 12:26:19 CST 2002

Hello,
I`m new to this list and I have some questions:

1.How many APIs are there in Windows? I heard something around 12000, is
that correct?
2.How many of them have been implemented yet(not necessaryly bug-free)?

Finally I want to add something about being able to run M$ software,
specifically M$-Office. Many see a problem in there because M$ is likely to
complicate things by using obscure APIs and other nasty tricks to make it
hard for Office to work under Wine. This way we will be facing an uphill
battle all the time. But I think we shouldn't worry too much about it. In
fact, I think there are replacements for most M$ software, like Staroffice
and the like.
The main concern should be the ability to run the huge amounts of 3rd party
software. And this will not be a problem, since the producers of this
software use the well documented APIs which will always have to be publicly
available.
Once we run all those apps, more and more users will use Linux. As for the
M$ Office, people can start using Staroffice, since it can read M$ Office
fileformats...

Just my 0.05$

Roland