DTR / DTS vs RTS/CTS vs Wine

List vmn list at vmn.com.br
Wed Jul 24 16:14:17 CDT 2002

Hi,

I am testing a serial printer driver that uses DTR/DTS  hardware flow
control on wine.
While testing the driver running winedbg everything worked, not so when I
ran the program directly from wine.
I sent this problem to the printer manufacturer and they put a data scope
on the serial line.
It seems that the DTR/DTS signal was not being caught by the computer and
therefore the computer was sending info
over the serial port when the printer was not ready.
I read on the net that the linux  kernel does not  implement  DTR/DTS but
only RTS/CTS hardware flow control.

I also read that it is usual for cables to be built that connect the
RTS/CTS pins to the DTR/DTS pins therefore tricking the computer and
printer [the computer understands RTS/CTS and the printer DTR/DTS ] and
getting good results.

The output of --debugmsg +comm after SetCommState was called was ~IXONN ~IXOFF.
Can anybody indicate that If I build the correct cable and ask for RTS/CTS
with SetCommState , that the serial io will work?
Any limitation of wine with RTS/CTS?

Is it correct that windows does not do ANY hardware flow control?
If so, how can this app work under windows since it only uses standard
SetCommState, ReadFile, WriteFile calls...

Thanks,
Miguel  Feitosa