Global Wine configuration file not consulted?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Tue May 14 15:15:32 CDT 2002

Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer at> writes:

> I noticed that in the absence of ~/.wine/config Wine simply refuses to
> start, and truss (on FreeBSD) and trace (on GNU/Linux) reveal that no
> other location is consulted for a config file.
> Even explictly Using ETCDIR or `configure --sysconfdir` doesn't seem to
> make a difference, even though the documentation indicates otherwise:

The global configuration is no longer supported at this point, mainly
because it doesn't play well with WINEPREFIX. I'm planning to
implement a more general solution at some point that will again enable
global config files. At the moment if you want that behavior you have
to create a symlink from ~/.wine/config to some global config.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at