So lets say we do it

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Nov 1 02:04:57 CST 2002

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On October 31, 2002 07:00 pm, Francois Gouget wrote:
>
> This is a good start. Here are my comments, based on
> the following principles:
[...]
> > 1. About
> >   1.1. Intro
> >   1.2. Why Wine
> >   1.3. Wine myths debunked
> >   1.4. Technical details
> >   1.5. Status (or move this to the How to contribute or Development
> > section?)
>
> I think this one should be top-level. I was fascinated for a long
> while by http://www.gnustep.org/information/progress.html, and
> I kept visiting the site frequently to monitor their progress.

They don't have screenshots. What the hell is wrong with them?
Ah, they hid them carefully like us...
Anyway, I'm not sure 'Status' should be top-level and if you look on
GNUStep's site it is in fact level 2 (it's a submenu of 'Information').

[...]
> >   1.12. Legal
>
> This menu should show as "About" on top level, and when clicked,
> should expand to the above structure. This is because it's long,
> and the items here (apart from Status) don't merit front-page
> status.

My thinking is that only the top-level items would be visible on the
home page and then you can click on an item to expand it and go to its
first page.

Gimp (http://www.gimp.org) is a good example of that. When you arrive on
the home page you don't see the sub-items of the Documentation menu, and
if you go to the 'Documentation' page you don't see the sub items of
'The Gimp'.

Actually, if we want to reduce the number of top-level menus in my
proposal we could make 'Screenshot' a sub item of 'About' as long as
About is expanded when you go to the site's home page. Again, see how it
works in the Gimp's web site:

 1. The Gimp
    1.1. About The Gimp
    1.2. Screenshots
    1.3. About this site
 2. Documentation
 3. Resources
 4. Download
 5. Gimp Art
 6. Important links

Once we have the menu hierarchy we can decide how to display them. I see
four possible ways:
 1. not pre-expanded left-side menus
    http://www.gimp.org/
 2. pre-expanded left-side menus
    http://www.gnustep.org/
 3. drop-down menus
    http://www.ca.com/
 4. two-level horizontal menu
    http://www.tcl.tk/software/

I vote for 1.

> > 2. News
> >   2.1. Latest Wine release
> >   2.2. Latest WWN
> >   2.3. WWN back issues
> >   2.4. Press
>
> Hopefully we can fit all this in one page, with a clever 1,2 box
> layout, and we can drop the submenus.

I don't think these can fit on one page. For instance the back issues
cannot be on the same page as the current issue. So I think the most
natural way to deal with this is to have sub-menus.

> > 3. Screenshots
> >    General screenshots, typically full desktops. Also point people to
> > the Application Database.
> >
> > 4. Application Database
> >
> > 5. How to contribute
> >   5.1. Application maintainer
> >   5.2. Bug triage
> >   5.3. Web site maintenance
> >   5.4. Development
> >      5.4.1. Wine 0.9.0 task list
> >      5.4.2. The Tasklist (bug 395)
> >      5.4.3. The FIXMEs (bug 455)
> >      5.4.4. The Tasklets (bug 406)
> >      5.4.5. The most wanted bugs (a Bugzilla query returning bugs with
> > the most votes)
> >   5.6. Write regression tests
> >   5.5. Support Wine-based products
>
> This should expand as "About" on click only. The 5.4.x items are a bit
> too deeply buried, considering that they are high visibility. Maybe
> we can link to 5.4 from the Status page.

My thinking was that all 5.x items would be on the same page and that
the 5.x menus would just point to the relevant section of that page. The
5.4.x would not actually be visible on the page and just exist as
sections in the page. That's subject to that page not being too long of
course but that should be ok.

> Or even better, maybe we can
> make 5.4 a top-level item, and rename it "Todo".

No. I don't want to give it priority or separate it from the other
extremely important ways to contribute to Wine.

> > 6. Download
> >   6.1. Binary Packages
> >   6.2. Source tar files
> >   6.3. Source tars for CVS
> >   6.4. LXR
> >   6.5. CVS
> >   6.6. CVS Web
> >   6.7. Other CVS modules (web site)
>
> Too complex. I think only 6.1, and 6.2 belong here, and not as
> submenus, but part of the page. The rest should be moved under 7.

Yeah, they can be in one or the other. The main thing to avoid is to
duplicate them. The reason why I put them there is that they are about
downloading or retrieving stuff while the Development page should be
more about what to do once you have the source.

[...]
> > 8. Documentation
[...]
> > 9. Bugs
>
> What about this:
>
> 8. Support
>   8.2 Howto
>   8.3 Bugzilla
>   8.4 Commercial support
>
> 9. Documentation
>   9.1 User Guide
>   9.2 Developer Guide
>   9.3 Packager Guide
>   9.4 API Docs

Looks good. I like it.

The nice thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing quite respectable
                                  -- Paul Dean