Name, life-cycle, directory structure, autoconf, temporary kludges for wine rpcss subtitute?

Greg Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 1 11:04:38 CST 2002

On Friday 01 November 2002 10:21 am, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Greg Turner <gmturner007 at ameritech.net> writes:
> > This guy needs a name if I'm ever going to start coding it.  How
> > about: Wine Remote Procedure Call System Server aka wrpcss.exe.so?
> > A little misleading with the "ss" thing, but this name will look
> > familiar to windows users, and is more accurate than my previous
> > idea of wine-epmap, since it will eventually need to do more than
> > just endpoint mapping.
>
> If it's ever going to be compatible with Windows rpcss.exe then we
> should use the same name. Otherwise winerpcss.exe would probably be
> better to avoid potential name collisions.

That's a good question... would/should/could our thing ever be
compatible with the windows one?   My pseudo-educated guess is
no/no/no, mostly because its a windows subsystem, and hence operates at
a lower level than wine... but I'd like to hear Ove's opinion (or
anyone else's, of course).

--
gmt

"The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people"
 --President Bill Clinton, MTV interview, 1993