Wine 0.8 TODO v0.1

Dustin Navea speeddymon at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 08:19:49 CST 2002

--- "Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> wrote:
> On November 2, 2002 12:02 am, Ender wrote:
> > If you expect internet explorer to work, you are GOING to have to have at
> > least shdocvw,shlwapi set native,builtin. That way they are not required,
> > but if IE is installed and those DLLs exist, you will need to use the
> > native versions. I really can't imagine ANY way we could create a builtin
> > version of those two dll's which will work with -all- internet explorer
> > versions, as the DLL's change horribly between revisions and even service
> > packs. I think urlmon suffers from the same fate, but I'm not certain.
>
> If this is the only tweak required for IE6, I think it's acceptable since
> IE is such a high visibility app. However, we have to be very careful with
> these things because this way lies madness. So if other apps require such
> tweaks, they will not make our Gold list. A separate section, with
> instructions is more appropriate.

It pretty much has to be acceptable, I was thinking about suggesting miltiple
versions of those files but the requirements to maintain that number of
different versions of the same dll is too great so i said scrap that.

> We can not go down the path of customizing dlls overrides for every app
> out there, because sooner rather than later we will encounter contradicting
> requirements. It's better IMO to have a default config that has the
> default overrides to "builtin, native", so that we encourage people to fix
> applications to work in this configuration (maybe IE is the big exception,
> but I am not convinced).

See above.  No we cant and shouldnt do that.  Even with the AppDefaults
section, there can and most likely always will be conflicting requirements
for different apps because inevitably someone isnt using the latest version
(for whatever reason) of a dll when they compile and so the older version is
required...

> I would say that with 0.8/0.9 we should say we support so many apps (and
> they don't have to be IE or Word), with _NO_ native DLLs. If these apps
> are apps like FTP Commander, WinZip, Xnews, etc., we would have delivered
> an exciting release. In fact, heavyweights like IE, and Word should come
> supported in later releases, to refresh excitement. :)

I agree, because even if we dont support it doesnt mean it wont run it just
means that if they have a problem getting it to work, they cant come crying
to us to fix it like they can the supported apps...

-Dustin