games

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 2 18:18:08 CST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 21:49, Mark Hannessen wrote:
> > I beg to differ. We do NOT need to crack these games, nor should we
> > aspire to it. What we need is a method for the original game's code to
> > verify that a legally CD is indeed in the drive.
>
> totaly agree.
> but in order to do that, we need copyprotection ( like wineX or
> windows ) but doing that open source is NOT legal. even in my country.

I'm not sure if you are right. See the safedisc patch created by Laurent
Pinchart. In my opinion that code is completely legal. And it allows all
programs with Safedisc 1.x protection to work.
When the patch was published, there was a discussion, and the conclusion was
that the code is very probably legal, and is not against DMCA. But of course
that should be checked with some lawyer.

So it could be done for one copy protection method, so maybe it can be done
for others.

> > In other words, we need to write code that, when used by the ORIGNAL
> > copy protected software, will recognize copied CDs as copied and
> > original CDs as original with similar false negatives to what the same
> > code running on Windows does (if we have false positives, i.e. an
> > original CD is mistook to be pirated, that is none of the copyright
> > holder's beef with us).
>
> the problem with copyprotection is, is that there license forbids anyone
> to distribute anything that gives away any hints on how to decrypt it.
>
> and that is what open source code is all about.
>
> so if we do it. it must be closed source ( i hate that )
> else we will get seud by every closed source software programmer in the
> world.

Are you sure about the above statements? Have you checked that, or it is just
your opinion?

I can provide the safedisc patch against current cvs if anybody needs it.

Regards
Zsolt