My WineHQ menu structure proposal - counterproposal

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Nov 3 02:34:35 CST 2002

On November 3, 2002 12:51 am, Jeremy White wrote:
> However, I think that when someone comes to
> a home page, they really have only the following
> major questions:
>   What is this?
>   How do I get it?
>   Hey!  It's busted!  Help!
>   How can I help?
>   What's New?

Partly, yes. But I think some very important questions
are missing:
  How does it look like?
  What's the current status of this thing?

But beyond that, I find it a big mistake to name the
menu "How do I get it?", and not "Download". When they
want to get the source, people are not searching for
the question. In fact, most of the time they don't
search for the word, but a picture of the word.

Jer, there is a reason application menus are standard:
  File Edit View ... Help
People have tried to get creative with menus, and it
didn't lead to any good.

This question thingy is _completely_ non standard, and
at least for me, a bit annoying. And being so non-standard,
I think the burdon of proof it's on you to justify such
a drastic departure from standard website design practice.

--
Dimi.