Today wine's compatibility with 20 popular apps from tucows

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Nov 3 02:56:24 CST 2002

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Carlos Lozano wrote:
[...]
> > > 29. Putty - This simple Telnet application could hang with the big boys.
> > >
> > >     VERSION 0.52.
> > >     * Install: No needed install.
> > >     * Run: No. (it doesn't show the right part of the window, regression????)
> > Very strange. PuTTY used to work.
>
> Yes I have seen it working around to 15 days ago, it remembers me that
> 12zip is other application with regression in the last 15 days.

That's another aspect where Application Owners would be very useful to
the Wine project: by detecting regressions as soon as possible.

I'm sure Dimitrie will agree with me if I say that having people test
applications on a daily basis made it easier for him to debug the
listviews.

In the same way it would be very useful to get timely reports when a
change in Wine breaks an application. The sooner bugs are discovered,
the more likely it is that the developper will fix the bug, or even
still be around.

This means having people, 'Application Owners', use an application (and
it's ok if it's just one) _regularly_, and immediately report any
regression with details of when it last worked and when it stopped
working. It probably won't be daily but it would be great if it was
weekly, or at least after each Wine release.

               RFC 2549: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2549.txt
                IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service