Fun projects

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Fri Nov 8 16:18:00 CST 2002

Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

>Folks,
>
>It's Friday, I'm out of my meetings, weather is superb here
>in Toronto (so I'm gonna go for a ride on my bike); this
>calls for some lighter, more entertaining stuff.
>
>So, if someone feels like doing something fun, here is a list of
>interesting Wine-related projects:
>  1. compile & run Wine under Cygwin (in Windows)
>	This is too cool for words, when it's going to work.
>	It will stress the heck out of Cygwin (good test case),
>	improve out portability
>  2. compile & run Cygwin under Wine (in Linux)
>	This is also way cool, being the complement of 1.
>	It will stress Wine a lot (another good test case),
>	improve Cygwin portability
>  3. compile wxWindows/QT/Gtk+ (in Linux), under Wine
>	All of these libraries compile under Windows.
>	So they should compile under Wine just fine.
>	Another superb test case for Wine.
>  4. make a ghostscript driver that uses Wine to print
>	When we are going to support native Windows printer
>	drivers, this is going to allow ghostscript to use
>	any of the existing gazillion printer drivers out there.
>  5. compile OSS apps that compile under Windows under Wine
>	This includes stuff like Mozilla, Gimp-Win32, etc.
>	Lots of these are around, many of them hosted at
>	http://sourceforge.net
>
>In fact, imagine if we get 3 done, and we can get all KDE/GNOME
>working in Wine! (I know it's not easily possible, but just the
>possibility is there :))
>
>And yeah, don't ask me 'why would you want to do that?'. The
>answer is: Because We Can! :) Really folks, just think how cool
>these are! ;)
>
>Comments, suggestions, additions, are welcome.

I've done a lot of 1), compiling Cygwin under Wine.
In fact all of the above are not just Fun / Because We Can, but
contribute in important ways:
 From Wine's point of view, it should really help compatibility as it
would probably highlight areas that could be improved and generate
improvements.
Also there are other projects, such as ReactOS (Free Open Source
OS as an alternative to Windows) and XOpenWin (project to replace
Windows GDI with X Windows) that could directly benefit from these.
Which all made me think that it would help if the above were not just
done but discussed, results shared etc. I suspect a number of people have
tried but so far only a few people have said "I got the following compiling"
In other words:
"I tried compiling Wine under Cygwin, the following sections compiled
fine, but I got these errors"
Then we could try and work out solutions together. For example, I know
someone mentioned that the x11drv needs some separating out but that
it's complex. Maybe if a few people tackled this kind of thing we could
solve it.
Of course, not wanting to detract from the main Wine development.
But I'm sure the main developers are busy enough and it would be other
people not currently doing that much who would try this kind of thing

Just some thoughts, it's late so if it doesn't make sense that's
probably why!
David