Adding -lc when linking?

Patrik Stridvall ps at leissner.se
Fri Nov 15 10:31:24 CST 2002

> When compiling Wine on FreeBSD, there are tons of warnings of the
> following kind (and have been that way since I can remember) which
> regularily cause confusion and support requests by people building
> our port:
[snip]

Yes, I have noticed. :-)

> Alfred (Cc:ed) verified that these warnings can be eliminated by
>
>  o getting rid of the -Wl,-Bsymbolic option (which you probably want
>    to keep to actually get warnings linking symbols are hosed), or
>
>  o explicitly adding -lc.
>
> Would you mind making one of these changes (neither should break
> GNU/Linux)?  If not, how should this problem be addressed?

It it is also fixed by adding --allow-shlib-undefined after -Wl,-Bsymbolic

Like:
-Wl,-Bsymbolic,--allow-shlib-undefined

I submitted a fix doing this to Alexandre but it was rejected (or
forgotten).

I'm personnally not sure what is correct --allow-shlib-undefined just
suppresses the warnings AFAIK.

> PS: Please Cc: Alfred and me when replying, as we are not on
> this list.

Sure.