Adding -lc when linking?

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 21 05:26:58 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
>> Alfred (Cc:ed) verified that these warnings can be eliminated by
>>
>>  o getting rid of the -Wl,-Bsymbolic option (which you probably want
>>    to keep to actually get warnings linking symbols are hosed), or
>>
>>  o explicitly adding -lc.
>>
>> Would you mind making one of these changes (neither should break
>> GNU/Linux)?  If not, how should this problem be addressed?
>
> It it is also fixed by adding --allow-shlib-undefined after -Wl,-Bsymbolic
>
> Like:
> -Wl,-Bsymbolic,--allow-shlib-undefined
>
> I submitted a fix doing this to Alexandre but it was rejected (or
> forgotten).

Alexandre, given how many support requests I have been receiving on this
by FreeBSD users and the fact that it is making automatic regression
testing somewhat harder, it really would be great to fix this.

What's your opinion on this?  Did you reject Patrik's patch, or did that
just fall through the cracks?

How should this be solved (in a portable way)?

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry" pfeifer at dbai.tuwien.ac.at http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/